Three suspected armed robbers were on Sunday killed in Kano by a team of police officers during a gunfight along the Kano-Katsina Road.
Kano State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Magaji Musa Majia, said the armed robbers had been terrorising traders and travellers plying the busy expressway.
DSP Majia explained that: “On Sunday, July 23, 2017, at about 9pm, the IGP’s Special Tactical Squad, Kano Sector, and Special Anti-robbery Squad, Kano, while on joint patrol, stumbled on armed robbers’ roadblock between Lamba and Dansiri villages, in Bichi LGA, along Kano-Katsina Road.
“The armed robbers normally robbed traders and other innocent Nigerians after weekly market day in Chiranchi LGA of Katsina. The command dispatched the patrol teams following complaints from traders, villagers and other road users.”
He said the kano State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Rabiu Yusuf, directed the STS and SARS to mobilise and deploy all machinery at their disposal to arrest the suspects and save the situation.
Majia explained that, on the fateful day, the robbers, on sighting the police team, opened fire, leading to a shootout for almost 15 minutes.
Said he: “Three suspected armed robbers were fatally wounded, two English-made AK-47 rifles, one locally-made pistol, two AK-47 rifle magazines, 47 rounds of live ammunition, three cartridges and one cutlass were recovered from them.
“The suspects were confirmed dead by a medical doctor at the hospital. There was no casualty from the police, while investigation is on-going.”
He urged members of the public to continue supporting the command by giving timely information on all suspicious persons, motor vehicles, houses, warehouses, shops and garages.
Parade Boko Haram suspect in Abuja 
The police in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) yesterday paraded a suspected Boko Haram member arrested in Abuja.
The suspect, 20-year-old Seth Yakubu Adokwe, from Nasarawa State, was arrested following a tip-off from villagers.
According to the police, Adokwe, confessed to have escaped from Sambisa forest after heavy military bombardment of the former terrorist enclave. He told newsmen that he left Maiduguri last Friday, and arrived Abuja on Saturday.
He said he ran to another village, Gwako, which is not too far from his village to conceal his identity and evade arrest.
However, villagers spotted him and alerted the police.
Adokwe said a man who promised to get him automatic employment into the Nigerian Army lured him into joining the terrorist group sometime in October 2016.
According to him, having been conscripted into the terrorist group, he was appointed second-in-command of his unit and actively participated in several attacks on villages in the North East, where houses were destroyed and innocent people killed.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive